One of the most common injuries to suffer from after a car accident is whiplash.
Whiplash can affect the ligaments, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues of the neck.
The whip-like motion that occurs during whiplash causes tears in the soft tissue and the muscles.
It can also cause cervical spinal misalignments.
Because of the delayed onset of symptoms, whiplash injuries are often dismissed as minor or something that eventually goes away.
Because of this, many victims to develop severe complications later down the road.
In the article below, we will discuss untreated whiplash, its side effects, and the best treatments.
Table of Contents
Many whiplash injuries won't present symptoms until hours or days after the accident occurs.
Whiplash is a soft tissue injury and not a bone fracture, so it doesn't always show up on x-rays, MRI scans, or CT scans.
Even though they are delayed, whiplash is capable of producing excruciating symptoms that make normal movement completely impossible.
Many whiplash victims require physical therapy, foam collars, medications, trigger point injectors, and ongoing chiropractic care.
Often the adrenaline rush that occurs during an accident will mask pain, which means many victims do not feel injured after the accident.
But after several hours or even a few days, the victim will begin to notice signs of whiplash.
Common signs of whiplash include:
- Neck Pain radiating through the back and upper shoulder area.
- Pain and swelling, stiffness, and a reduced range of motion.
- Headaches at the base of the skull.
- Ringing, hissing, static, or humming noises in the ears.
- Dizziness, feeling faint, or feeling as if the world is spinning.
Unless a chiropractor sees the accident victim, they will likely experience chronic pain because of their untreated whiplash injury.
Side Effects of Whiplash
Soft tissue injuries like whiplash can take some time to heal.
And, the longer treatment is put off, the longer the suffering and debilitating side effects of whiplash can occur.
A few side effects of whiplash are:
- Stiffness and Loss of Motion: Moving the neck is almost impossible without experiencing excruciating pain. The lack of motion can result in stiffness and improper muscle healing, limiting the range of motion in the neck unless the whiplash is treated correctly.
- Sleeping Difficulties: Neck pain can make sleeping extremely uncomfortable and will often result in even more stiffness after a restless night's sleep.
- Depression and Anxiety: Whiplash can keep you from going about your daily life. This often leads to depression and anxiety as your injury holds you back from the things you're accustomed to doing on your own.
- Dizziness and Vertigo: Whiplash can cause severe dizzy spells that often lead to vertigo.
- Tinnitus: Untreated whiplash can cause tinnitus, which is persistent buzzing and ringing in the ears.
- Headaches and Migraines: Neck pain tends to cause intense headaches and migraines. These can last for days or become chronic enough to seriously affect one's daily life.
Chiropractic Care for Whiplash
After a Car Accident, no matter how you feel immediately following the crash, seeing an experienced Chiropractor is crucial for your recovery.
The Chiropractors at the Arrowhead of Garden City have been treating Whiplash victims for years.
Our clinic in Garden City specializes in car accident injury treatment to help with your recovery.
You have nothing to lose by seeking chiropractor care with chiropractors who have years of training and experience.
Everyone that visits our Garden City Whiplash Chiropractor will be given a free consultation.
During your free consultation, you will speak with the chiropractor so you can let them know the details surrounding your accident and injuries.
After that, your chiropractor will perform an in-depth physical examination to determine the extent of any injuries.
Based on your exam findings, your chiropractor will design a treatment plan specifically tailored to your recovery needs.
If you were involved in a Car Accident, make sure you see a chiropractor to be sure you haven't suffered any injuries.
The experienced Chiropractors with the Arrowhead Clinic in Garden City will diagnose and treat your whiplash injury before it turns into chronic pain.
Click below to schedule your free consultation today.