While Chiropractors treat more than Back and Neck Pain, a lot of people visit their Chiropractor for relief of Chronic Lower and Upper Back Pain caused by postural misuse, Car Accidents, Falls or other injuries suffered in life.
Below are five facts that give valuable insight into how many people are afflicted with back pain in the United States...number 4 is shocking!!!
1. Back Pain Can Be Debilitating
According to the American Chiropractic Association website, more than 35% of Chiropractic patients are receiving care for Back Pain.
Low Back Pain is also the single leading cause of disability worldwide!
2. Back Pain Can Affect the Neck
About 20% of chiropractic patients are receiving treatment for Neck Pain.
3. 80% of American Citizens Will Have to Deal With Back Pain
Back Pain is one of the most common medical problems we face in the US, affecting 8 out of 10 people at some point during their lives.
The pain can range from a dull, constant ache to a sudden, sharp pain.
4. Back Pain Affects Our Armed Services
Nearly 20% of all American military medical discharges are due to low back pain!
5. The Costs of Lower Back Pain
According to a 1993 Manga Research Report, 1992 costs associated with low back pain in the U.S. were estimated to be $60 billion!
In a more recent study, produced by the Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, total costs associated with low back pain in 2009 have now exceeded over $100 billion.
The concept is called diaphragmatic breathing or "baby breathing."
The spine is intimately connected with the respiratory diaphragm, and understanding their symbiotic relationship will help steer your posture in the right direction.
Perform this exercise while sitting in a chair.
Steps for diaphragmatic breathing:
- Sit comfortably, with your knees bent and your shoulders, head, and neck relaxed.
- Place one of your hands just below your belly button so that you can feel the proper motion of the breath and the other hand on your sternum.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose so that your stomach moves out against your hand. The hand on your chest should remain as still as possible.
- Tighten your stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale through pursed lips. The hand on your upper chest must remain as still as possible.
Make sure you are not just another statistic, click this link here to find out where to go to get the best care for your back pain or click the link below.
Our Georgia and Tennessee Chiropractors are trained to help your Back Pain symptoms and get to the source of the problem.
Next Blog: How to Reduce Back Pain Naturally